M. Huntington, 23 of Osgood, was taken to the hospital after
a hunting incident Sunday, December 12 about 5:34 p.m. He was
first taken to Margaret Mary Community Hospital in Batesville
and later transferred to University Hospital in Cincinnati with
injuries that are not life threatening, according to law enforcement.
According to information from DNR Public Information Officer
Gary Catron, the incident took place when Huntington was hunting
with a friend near County Road 100 E south of State Road 48.
Huntington received an injury to his right upper thigh when
the barrel of his friends firearm blew up when he fired.
Indiana Conservation Officer Steve Miller is the investigating
officer and noted, an obstructed firearm barrel is being
investigated as a possible contributing factor.
Conservation officers remind hunters that it doesnt take
much debris in a firearm barrel to cause it to fail. Even a
small amount of snow in the end of a barrel can cause it to
explode when fired.
Before attempting to clear any barrel obstruction make
sure the firearm is completely unloaded and proper cleaning
tools are used, noted Catron in a press release.
Also responding with Indiana Conservation Officers at the scene
were officers from the Ripley County Sheriffs Office and