3 beloved pets perish in blaze
Milan home destroyed by fire

Wanda English Burnett

The home of Cecil and JoAnn Arnold was completely destroyed by fire last Thursday morning, July 7.

The couple have made their home at 600 Hickory Lane in Milan for the past six years where they enjoyed life with their three little (Chihuahua) dogs.

The Arnolds were still tearful about losing their beloved pets on Monday of this week when Cecil told The Versailles Republican he could replace almost anything else, but his little “teacup” he had lost forever.

The couple was mourning the loss of Selena, who was nine years old; Bella, who was just eight months old, and Vae, just 10 months old. Vae was named after JoAnn’s mother, who she lost last year. “They were like children to us,” JoAnn noted.

On the morning of the fire, the couple had left for work at their respective times as usual. What they didn’t know was that danger lurked in the ceiling fan of a back bedroom and would later spark the blaze that saw four fire companies responding: Milan, who was assisted by Sunman, Delaware and Moores Hill fire departments as well.

The house was fully engulfed when firefighters arrived.

The Arnolds are thankful for the support of the Milan community, the firemen who responded, and everyone who has shown concern. “Everyone has been just great here,” JoAnn noted. Family has been supportive with JoAnn’s sister bringing her little dog, Taco, over for the couple to love. Taco is a pup of Selena’s, who died in the fire. The couple has raised 15 litters of Chihuahua’s and enjoys the company of the little friends.

While JoAnn is sad to lose her collection of Boyd’s Bears and Longaberger and Cecil hated to lose a collection of swords and knives, the couple says the hardest part is losing their pets. “We can replace most everything else,” they agreed.

The Arnolds have a fifth wheel camper they are living in on the property for now. They love the Milan area and hope to rebuild soon in the same spot.

Pictured above the Arnold's beautiful bedford stone home was destroyed by fire last Thursday. Pictured below are one of the rooms showing the inside damage from smoke and water. The Arnolds are thankful to be alive as they mourn the loss of three of their pets.