The Jac-Cen-Del school board met for a regular business meeting October 17.
The meeting began with recognition being given to Bill Craddock, maintenance director, for his help and cooperation with the athletic department.
Four members of a Batesville Boy Scout troop were in attendance at this meeting along with their troop leader, to earn a merit badge for being present in a public meeting for the betterment of the community.
Under personnel changes, the board unanimously approved the opening of the weight program beginning October 22. From that date on, the weight room will be open on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 5:30 - 7:30 PM. Staff members who are approved to fill the open weight training position are Ron Back, Steve Narwold, and Flo Wagner.
Unanimous approval was given to accept the following donations:
• 60 computers from the Indiana Department of Administration with an estimated value of $9,000.00.
• $50.00 to the elementary school and $50.00 to the middle/senior high school from the Ripley County Vietnam and Vietnam Era Veteran's Tribute Committee for the use of portable bleachers at the site of the American Veteran's Traveling Tribute. These funds will be used to provide refreshments during JCD's Veteran's Day programs.
Superintendent Dr. Leanna Phillippe reported that remediation classes were held the first week of fall break. Three buses picked up students at designated stops and the latch key program was provided as usual.
Dr. Phillippe hopes to do a survey regarding the usefulness of the fall break.
She also was pleased to report that the varsity soccer team earned the Matt Obendorf Award for the first time.
In cross country, the girls varsity team won the Pumpkin Invitational and the junior high girl's team won the Jennings County Invitational.
In other news, Superintendent Phillippe reported that five students are working with Amy Phillips of the Local Coordinating Council (LCC) as a part of a mentorship program. Mr. Degler, of Jac-Cen-Del, is in charge of coordinating this program. The first meeting was scheduled for October 22.
Dr. Philippe also reported that potential calendars for the 2013-2014 school year have been submitted to the board for their review and input.
The new and improved JCD website which includes podcast has been unveiled. She hopes also to see more news articles turned in for school news to be shared with the community by placing such articles in the local newspaper, The Versailles Republican, which features a school news page. Phillippe feels this is a way to utilize more of a community resource.
Upcoming dates as to what will be happening at the school were given:
• November 17: PBL Training for those that attended this summer.
• November 9: Veteran’s program at the girls basketball game.
• November 11: Junior class dinner.
• November 12: Veteran’s Day Program - Elementary: 8:30 AM, High School: 10:00 AM
• November 20: Turkey Shoot Out
• December 9: Open House for all staff at the Phillippe’s home: 4:00 - 8:00 PM
Staff Professional Development continues with the following dates being utilized to do so:
• October 21-24: Bert Martini, High School Principal, to the Virtual Academy in New Orleans, Louisiana.
• October 25: Bert Martini and Dedra Montgomery, to RISE training.
• October 29-30: Brian Fehribach and Christi Foster, to School Specialist Training.
• November 1-2: Christi Foster and Dedra Montgomery, to Counselor Conference.
• November 6: Bert Martini and Dedra Montgomery, to RISE training.
• November 6, 3:00 - 5:00 PM: RISE training with teachers and Bonnie Kelley
• November 8: Central office staff at Komputrol training.
• November 13-14: Travis Rohrig, Bert Martini and six staff members to Cell Conference.
Under financial concerns:
• The estimated General Fund budget received from the Indiana Department of Education will be $5,307,427.00 which is $55,625.00 less than last year.
• Unanimous approval given to accept the payroll and other 2012 claims to be paid.
• The 2013 General Fund, Debt Service Fund, Transportation Fund, School Bus Replacement Fund, and the Capital Projects Fund budgets were approved as advertised.
• The Resolution of Appropriations was approved as presented.
The RISE evaluation model was approved for the following areas: teachers, principals, counselors, media specialist, superintendent.
Those attending this meeting were Deanna Young, board president, board members Bill Roberts, Kathleen Dickman, and Paul C. Hardy and Superintendent Dr. Leanna Phillippe as well as deputy treasurer, Pam Comer.
The next meeting will be November 21 at 6:00 PM in the Jac-Cen-Del Elementary School library.
KAREN REYNOLDS PHOTO
Pictured at left is Bill Craddock, maintenance director at JCD who was honored for his help with the athletic department. He received the award at the October JCD board meeting.